FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Fibrous and durable woven sisal naturally encourages scratching
- Multipurpose scratcher can be wall mounted or placed on the floor
- Includes an easy to use wall-mount system
- Rubber feet provide stability and prevent slipping
- Measures 24″x 7″x2.5″
WHY DO CATS SCRATCH?
- To remove old nail sheaths from claws
- To exercise and tone muscles
- To relieve stress, frustration, and boredom
- To “warm up” for a vigorous play session
- To mark territory
SMARTCAT® TRAINING TIPS
- Place the scratcher where the cat spends a lot of time. Cats often like to stretch and scratch when they wake up from a nap.
- To introduce the scratcher, try using catnip as a lure. (For most cats this is unnecessary, but fun.) Rub catnip onto the sisal material and call the cat over to the post.
- Scratch your nails along the surface of the material. This will attract the cat and also teach where to scratch.
- After your cat begins to scratch, offer praise and a food treat.
- If your cat has been scratching a piece of furniture, place the scratcher directly in front of it. Cover that area with Sticky Paws™ (click here to order) or use double-sided tape. This will help redirect your cat’s scratching activities to the scratcher. Shower lots of praise on your cat when you see them using the scratcher to reinforce this positive behavior.
Most cats are easily trained but if your cat is the exception, click here to visit www.catsinternational.org for more information and tips.